You want to boost your online privacy and security by making use of a VPN. But, you also want to ensure that you can connect more than one device to it so that you can make the most of its features.
How many devices can a VPN connect to? On average, a VPN can connect to five devices, but some can connect to many more than that.
Let’s explore the best VPNs to choose if you need to connect a variety of devices instead of just a few, whether for work, entertainment, or both! We’ll start with the winner on our list of reviews: Surfshark.
Best VPN For Multiple Devices – Reviews & Buying guide for 2021
Best Overall: Surfshark
If you’re looking for a VPN that can work on multiple devices, Surfshark will not disappoint you. Let’s check out how many devices it can connect to, as well as its other benefits.
- Surfshark allows you to connect to unlimited devices, all under one subscription. Yes, an unlimited amount!
- When you connect multiple devices to the same VPN subscription, you’ll naturally worry that your device performance and speed will suffer. The good thing about Surfshark is that it doesn’t make use of bandwidth limitations, so the number of devices that you connect with one subscription to the VPN won’t affect your connection speed.
- You can use Surfshark on a variety of devices. These include Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows devices. It’s also compatible with FireTV, which is pretty rare for VPNs. If you need to, you can use proxy plug-ins for Firefox and Chrome browsers.
- If you want to make use of a VPN for gaming purposes, you’ll be able to do so with PlayStation and Xbox, thanks to Surfshark’s DNS connection.
- Surfshark can unblock Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, iPlayer, and Netflix, so nothing gets in the way of your streaming time.
- What’s great about Surfshark is that you’ll be automatically connected whenever you boot your device. You can also use a Quick Connect button, which will select the best server for you to use, and it does this automatically. You’re sure to love not having to manually connect or choose a server.
- When it comes to your privacy, which is obviously the main reason why you’d want a VPN in the first place, Surfshark offers the gold standard of privacy that you’ll find in other VPNs, such as secure protocols like Wireguard and IKEv2, as well as other privacy features that go the extra mile.
- Surfshark makes use of a private DNS on all its servers that allows you to add more protection to your online privacy because it prevents third parties from monitoring or gaining access to your browsing activity.
- This best VPN service for all devices uses a VPN chaining mechanism. This allows users to direct traffic through two different, separate, servers. This can be done via the MultiHop button and it ensures greater privacy for your IP address.
- You might find that whenever you connect to this VPN you will get the same IP address. This makes it a little easier for hackers to track you down online.
- While there is Surfshark customer support available, such as in the form of live chats, there’s no helpline available for users.
Runner Up: Express VPN
ExpressVPN is compatible with many platforms, and you can use this VPN on up to five devices at the same time. You’ll also be able to enjoy unlimited speed, unlimited server switches, and unlimited bandwidth.
- ExpressVPN is a fast VPN. This is because it makes use of its own protocol, Lightway, instead of what many other VPNs use, which is Wireguard.
- You want to use a VPN that offers a variety of servers so that you’re more likely to find one close to where you are. ExpressVPN contains 160 server locations in 94 countries. It offers a good range of both hardware and virtual servers. This improves user security and ensures better performance on the VPN.
- ExpressVPN only uses RAM servers, which prevents malicious software and makes the servers much more difficult to steal.
- For greater privacy, ExpressVPN makes use of a cryptographic key scheme. This provides servers with unique keys and doesn’t store the keys on disk.
- This best VPN for multiple users makes use of top-quality security features, such as AES-256 encryption and its own DNS servers. It also has a zero-log policy.
- ExpressVPN is a bit more expensive than other VPNs on the market.
- Advanced users might not like that ExpressVPN can decrease their speeds.
You might not need to be able to connect an unlimited number of devices to your VPN, and if this is the case NordVPN is a good choice. It also has tons of excellent features to know about.
- NordVPN gives you a higher-than-average amount of devices you can connect to – you can use a maximum of six devices simultaneously.
- In a similar way to other quality VPNs on the market, NordVPN makes use of AES-256 bit encryption. This is considered the gold standard.
- If you join NordVPN, you will be able to use minimal data logging because the company only stores basic information, such as your payment information and email address.
- One of the best things about NordVPN is that it’s based in Panama. This means that this best VPN service for multiple devices is not within the surveillance alliances of Five Eyes, Nine Eyes and 14 Eyes. This means it can never be forced to hand over user data to authorities.
- NordVPN doesn’t offer split tunneling. This means you can’t use NordVPN and a public Wi-Fi network at the same time.
- NordVPN makes use of static IP addresses. Since your IP addresses always stay the same whenever you connect to the VPN, this can potentially make it easier for hackers to track you.
This VPN works in 90 countries, so it offers excellent coverage. Let’s see what else it has to offer.
- Since it’s based in Romania, CyberGhost is outside of the Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, and 14 eyes jurisdiction.
- This VPN gives you the chance to connect it to seven devices simultaneously. That’s more than enough!
- CyberGhost protects your IP address during times when you lose connection to the VPN. It does this with the use of a Kill Switch. How it works is that the Kill Switch will stop your internet connection and close web pages to protect your online identity from being seen.
- CyberGhost offers excellent privacy, such as in the form of its 256-bit AES encryption, and how it uses this for all its protocols, such as OpenVPN and L2TP. You can switch between the protocols manually or automatically.
- This VPN enables you to remain anonymous because it provides you with a user ID instead of a username. This ID is randomly generated for even more privacy.
- This VPN also has an ad-block feature. This prevents annoying ads, while it also makes your load times faster. Most importantly, you’ll be able to prevent malware from getting in.
- One of the drawbacks of CyberGhost is that this VPN will store information such as your IP address, the country in which you’re located, and the times at which you used it.
- If you want to try CyberGhost before committing to it, it only offers a one-day free trial.
Alternative: Private Internet Access
If you’re looking for a VPN that will connect many devices at once, you’ll likely find the answer with Private Internet Access.
It enables you to connect up to 10 devices, which is probably more than what most people would require. Let’s see what else it has to offer.
- Private Internet Access makes use of over 35,000 servers and is available in 78 countries.
- Private Internet Access has a range of privacy features in place. It has an in-built ad-blocker, it blocks malicious websites and trackers, and also offers SOCKS5.
- SOCKS5 is a proxy that boosts your speed and gives you the chance to choose the features you want, such as when it comes to encryption, so it’s perfect for advanced users.
- This VPN for multiple devices offers users what’s known as Identity Guard. This is a feature that’s completely free and it notifies you if your email address has been in a network breach.
- One of the best things about this VPN is that many of its components are open source, such as its mobile apps. This lets developers study the source code and report any bugs or privacy concerns.
- Private Internet Access is located in the United States. It’s part of international surveillance alliances so if requested, it will have to provide its users’ data.
- Users’ experiences with customer support is both positive and negative – some have said that they received quick responses while others didn’t get responses to their queries for days.
Best VPN For Multiple Devices FAQ
After reviewing the best VPNs if you want to connect to your VPN via a range of devices, you might still have some questions about VPNs. Let’s take a look at the most common ones.
How Many Devices Can I Use My VPN On?
As we mentioned at the start of this article, generally VPNs will give you the chance to connect to up to five devices, but this is not standard.
There are quality VPNs that will allow you to connect to them with seven VPNs, such as CyberGhost. Others, such as Surfshark, give you the chance to use an unlimited number of devices.
It’s therefore good to consider how many devices you’d like to connect to a VPN before you go ahead and sign up to one.
For most people, five or seven will be more than enough, but it’s true that an unlimited device number is appealing, especially if you intend on increasing how many devices you use in the future.
Is It Illegal To Watch Netflix With a VPN?
If you’ve been interested in watching Netflix with your VPN, you might’ve been put off by Netflix’s Terms and Conditions.
Netflix has banned VPNs, and this has caused frustration for Netflix users who have found that their VPNs don’t always work. For example, they tend to receive error messages like, “Woops, you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy.
Please turn off any of these services.”
This doesn’t mean you can’t necessarily use a VPN to watch Netflix, though. FYI, doing so is not illegal.
But, there is a catch. If you’re in a country where VPNs are illegal, then using a VPN to watch programs on Netflix will also be considered illegal. However, if this is not the case where you live, then you can use VPNs.
The key is to know what VPNs are the best for Netflix. Here’s a list of popular VPNs with which to enjoy Netflix.
This VPN is popular and it has server locations in over 90 countries, so Netflix users will be able to connect to the VPN service and bypass geo-blocking that’s enforced by Netflix.
ExpressVPN can successfully unblock Netflix in a variety of countries, such as Brazil, U.S., U.K, Australia, France, and Germany.
What makes ExpressVPN so useful for streaming is that it’s very fast, and its MediaStreamer feature allows you to stream on gaming consoles as well as smart TVs.
You can unblock Netflix in a variety of countries with CyberGhost, such as Canada, the U.S., the U.K, Spain, Germany, Japan, and France.
While you might not be able to gain access to lots of libraries, you’ll still be able to enjoy a large amount of content. CyberGhost has very fast speeds and this reduces buffering.
CyberGhost also makes it easy for you to enjoy unlimited data transfers, so you can stream lots of programs without having to be limited to a few.
Private Internet Access
This is another quality VPN for Netflix. While it doesn’t unblock Netflix from a large number of countries, you can still successfully do so in countries such as the U.S., U.K, and a few others.
Private Internet Access offers unlimited bandwidth on all its plans, so it’s perfect to meet all your streaming needs.
It also helps that you can use it on up to 10 different devices, so Private Internet Access is an ideal VPN for households.
Can VPN Get You Banned?
If you want to use a service such as Netflix, even though it restricts VPN usage, you might worry that using a VPN will get your account banned.
But this can’t happen, unless you’re using a VPN in a country that bans it (which we’ll get to in the next question).
However, you might be wondering if using a VPN can get you banned in other ways and not just when it comes to Netflix.
For starters, it’s important to be aware of the VPN laws in your country. While it’s not risky to use a private, secure connection with a VPN, you have to obey the rules in your country so that you stay out of any trouble.
In the U.S., a VPN is legal to use, but you have to be careful about what you use your VPN to do.
Basically, the general guideline is that if an activity is considered illegal without the use of VPN, it will still be illegal when you use a VPN.
Examples include if you’re using a VPN to torrent copyrighted material, hack, cyber stalk, and buy or sell on the dark web.
Which Countries Have Banned VPN?
It might surprise you to discover that VPNs are banned and illegal in a variety of countries. These include the following:
In China, VPNs are tightly regulated. This isn’t surprising if you consider that the country has banned many foreign websites and apps for a long time, such as Google and Facebook.
Since some people have tried to use VPNs to access such sites, China has made VPNs illegal.
However, some government-approved VPNs are allowed, but obviously these will have to accommodate the government, such as by allowing for the provision of logging user activity.
This is disheartening because you would want to choose a VPN for greater privacy and to prevent your online activity from being monitored.
In Russia, VPNs are not entirely prohibited but the use of software to give users access to content that’s banned in the country is, so there are strict rules in place. However, there are some approved VPNs that can be used.
In the country, if you’re found to be using an unauthorized VPN or you’re a VPN company that’s in violation of the laws, you can end up paying a fine that’s the equivalent of thousands of dollars.
All internet anonymizers have been banned in Belarus since 2016, and this includes proxies, Tor (since it can scramble user internet traffic), and VPNs.
The country not only blocks these services but also most foreign websites. Interestingly, the government has claimed that these bans are part of a strategy to improve the country’s telecommunications.
Belarus has even been accused of shutting down its citizens’ access to the internet, and such internet blackouts were reported during the country’s presidential elections.
Since 2016, Turkey has been restricting people’s access to Tor and VPNs. Some VPNs can work well in the country, such as CyberGhost that works on mobile devices, but desktop apps are a bit more difficult to use.
The government has been restricting access to VPNs because of an increased need for people to use VPNs to access blogs, messaging services, and news sites which have been banned by the government.
Here, internet censorship is taken to an even more severe level. Most citizens in the country don’t have any access to the internet and have to connect to the country’s intranet.
Only very top officials in government have unrestricted internet access. It’s therefore clear to see that the use of VPNs is completely banned, and if you try to use one you could end up serving a jail sentence.
While VPNs are legal in quite a few countries across the world, there are other countries that don’t completely ban them but have strong regulations in place for their use.
For example, in Egypt, VPNs are not illegal but some internet access is banned, such as if it is considered to be immoral. This means that using VPNs in order to access such content is restricted.
If VPNs are legal in your country, you might be tempted to sign up to one. And you should. There are many privacy risks online, such as when it comes to hackers, malware, and browser activity monitoring.
However, it’s not enough to safeguard just one or two devices with a VPN to keep you safer online – it makes more sense to get all your devices protected by a VPN.
In this article, we’ve featured the best VPN for multiple devices that gives you unlimited access, as well as four others that work on a high number of devices.
We’ve also featured some important information about VPNs, such as where they’re illegal and how you can use them to access Netflix.