Have you heard about NordLynx? NordLynx is a VPN protocol that’s been launched by NordVPN.
It makes connecting to a VPN server quicker and more private, and it also has the benefit of boosting your connection speed.
What, exactly, is a VPN protocol? A VPN protocol can be defined as a set of rules used to negotiate the connection between the VPN client and server.
With that in mind, let’s explore everything you need to know about NordLynx. We’ll start by looking at what VPN protocols are already available and why there’s a need for NordLynx.
Table of Contents
Is There A Demand For NordLynx?
However, there’s always a need for more as different VPN protocols will offer different functions.
Now, you might be wondering which ones are the most popular. Protocols such as IKEv2 and OpenVPN are considered to be the most established and secure, while WireGuard is usually praised for its high speeds.
What makes NordLynx so interesting is that it’s based on the WireGuard protocol.
It produces solutions for WireGuard’s drawbacks and proves to be a rival for other protocols because of how secure it is, so it gives you speed and privacy.
Both of these are obviously crucial when using the internet.
Interested? Let’s explore NordLynx in greater detail.
How Does NordLynx Work?
Since NordLynx has been built on WireGuard, it’s worth knowing a bit about WireGuard and what it has to offer.
WireGuard is lightweight and fast, as it only has 4,000 lines of code. When compared to OpenVPN’s code which contains 400,000 lines, that’s pretty impressive!
This makes it faster and it uses less energy to run.
However, WireGuard offers users a static IP address, which means you’ll have the same IP address whenever you connect to it.
This requires your IP address to be stored on the server, which puts your privacy at risk.
With NordLynx, NordVPN has eradicated this problem by tweaking the WireGuard software so that it uses a double NAT (Network Address Translation) system.
This generates two local network interfaces for every user, with the first one assigning a local IP address to all users that are connected to a server.
When a VPN tunnel (the encrypted connection between the internet and your device) is set, the second interface with a dynamic NAT system in place is activated to give users a unique IP address for every tunnel.
With this system in place, NordLynx ensures greater privacy and security for its users because no identifiable info is stored on the server.
The dynamic IP addresses only last for however long the internet session takes place.
What Are The Pros And Cons Of NordLynx?
As we’ve seen from the previous section, greater privacy and security are achieved by using NordLynx, but this VPN protocol has other benefits to know about. So, let’s explore its pros and cons.
- It’s fast. Thanks to how it’s built on WireGuard, NordLynx makes it quick for you to connect to servers.
- It’s free. Since it’s integrated into NordVPN, you don’t have to pay for NordLynx.
- It comes with NordVPN benefits. Because of how it’s part of NordVPN, you can make use of this VPN’s exceptional features that include malware and ad blocking, as well as double encryption. NordVPN also allows you to connect to more than 5,000 servers so you can bypass content censors on streaming platforms.
- It’s versatile. NordLynx is compatible with the main operating systems: iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, and Linux.
- It saves your device battery. This is as a result of how it only uses 4,000 code lines, therefore saving your device’s battery power.
- The only real drawback to consider with NordLynx is that it’s relatively new – it was launched in April 2021. This means there could be bugs or other vulnerabilities which haven’t been explored. So far, however, no big issues have surfaced.
- Since NordLynx is part of NordVPN, you will need to ensure that you’ve got the latest version of NordVPN in order to make use of it. If you don’t have NordVPN, you won’t have access to NordLynx, which could be problematic if you don’t want to make the switch to NordVPN, such as because you’re satisfied with your current VPN.
How To Set Up NordLynx
Ready to go ahead and enjoy NordLynx? Here are the instructions to follow when setting up NordLynx on various devices.
How to set up NordLynx on Android:
- Start by downloading NordVPN to your device.
- Choose the cog icon in the upper left corner of the app so that you can access the “Account and Settings” menu.
- Once in there, choose “VPN protocol” and enable NordLynx.
How to set up NordLynx on Windows:
- Download and install NordVPN for Windows.
- Click the cog icon at the top right corner and choose “Auto-connect.”
- Then, go to the “VPN Protocol” dropdown menu and choose “NordLynx.”
How to set up NordLynx on iOS:
- Install NordLynx on your iOS device.
- Go to the app settings, located in the upper right corner.
- Once in settings, you should choose “VPN Protocol” and then select NordLynx.
How to set up NordLynx on Linux:
- Download NordVPN to your Linux device.
- Install WireGuard, then open the Linux terminal.
- Here, you should enter “nordvpn set technology NordLynx.” This will ensure you can use NorLynx.
- Enter “nordvpn c,” which will allow you to connect to the VPN server.
How to set up NordLynx on Mac OS:
- Start by downloading NordVPN to your device. Note that you’ll be able to use NordVPN with macOS Sierra 10.12 and later versions.
- Go to the app settings, which are located in the upper left corner
- This will open “Preferences.” From there, select “General.”
- In the “VPN Protocol” menu, choose “NordLynx.”
If you’re battling to connect to NordLynx, there are some things you should try:
- Connect to several different NordVPN servers. If you’re battling to connect to one server, it could be experiencing technical difficulties so try a different one.
- Try disabling your firewall. The problem could be that some software on your device is blocking NordVPN’s connectivity. It’s a good idea to add NordVPN to your firewall’s list of safe programs so that you won’t encounter this problem again in the future.
- Connect with a different protocol. This can be useful to try because if you achieve success when connecting with a different protocol, then you could be dealing with a technical issue that’s solely affecting NordLynx.
- Close the NordVPN app. It might help to simply close the NordVPN app and reopen it.
If you’re still not coming right, you should get in touch with NordVPN’s customer service. They have a 24/7 live chat available to attend to your queries.
What Are The Benefits Of Switching To NordVPN?
As mentioned earlier, if you want to try NordLynx, you’ll need NordVPN. Here are some NordVPN benefits to consider.
- NordVPN allows you to connect to it via six devices and you can use them simultaneously.
- It has DNS leak protection features so you can be guaranteed that your identity and information are safe.
- It offers double data encryption as well as Onion support to boost your online security. Onion over VPN is when traffic moves through a server, passes through the Onion network, and then reaches the internet, giving you more layers of security. With NordVPN, you don’t have to download a special browser to use the Onion network.
- NordVPN also offers malware, ad, and phishing protection via its CyberSec technology. This technology blocks websites that are known for having phishing scams or malware on them, so you’re protected against various online threats.
Why Does Your WiFi Status Say “NordLynx – No Internet Access”?
Using NordLynx means your NordVPN installs virtual network components that work when you connect to VPN servers.
This message means the components are there but not connected to the internet, and they won’t be if you’re not connected to NordVPN. However, you do have internet access.
Is NordVPN Popular?
Nord is a virtual private network provider that’s known for its reliability and consistent service. It boasts 14 million customers across the globe, and it’s available in more than 80 locations in 59 countries.
If you want faster and more secure internet browsing, having a VPN protocol such as NordLynx can be an excellent solution.
In this article, we’ve looked at what NordLynx is and why it’s been causing such a stir.
Before you sign up to NordVPN to make use of it, read our pros and cons so that you can see if NordLynx really is worth it.