If you love being able to access movies and TV shows on Amazon Prime, you might feel disappointed that you can’t always access it with a VPN.
This is because Amazon Prime content can sometimes be unavailable.
Why is some Amazon Prime content unavailable? This is a result of how content is restricted to certain geographical locations.
Not only can this hamper your viewing experience at home, but also when you’re traveling.
Luckily there is a way around this issue. By knowing how to use a VPN like NordVPN, you’ll be able to access the content you wish to watch.
Table of Contents
Why Does Amazon Prime Not Offer You Its Full Library?
Amazon has license agreements with networks that determine what content will be aired in different countries. This is why it will sometimes block your location and control what you can and can’t stream.
Generally, Amazon Prime in the U.S. and U.K. will give users the most content to enjoy, but the catch is that you can’t always access them when you’re in another country.
Doing so will greet you with an annoying error message, stopping you in your tracks.
This is why using a VPN to unblock the content when you’re abroad will come to the rescue.
What will happen is that the VPN will change your IP address so it appears that you’re streaming from a different country, thereby making all the content available to you.
See, streaming services like Netflix and Prime will check user IP addresses so that they will have access to content if they’re in a location where it’s supported and prevent them from seeing it if they’re not.
But, when you connect to a VPN server, your new IP address will correspond to the server’s location, which effectively makes the content accessible.
Thanks to how NordVPN has over 5,400 servers in 60 countries, you will have a greater amount of access to content that’s restricted across the globe by using this VPN.
What Should You Know About NordVPN And Amazon?
If you’re using a top-quality VPN like NordVPN, you might wonder if you can use it to unblock Amazon Prime.
The good news is that NordVPN does successfully unblock Amazon Prime, but there are some important things that you should know about it.
- Generally, you will be able to stream Prime content that’s available in the region where you’ve purchased the Amazon Prime account. For Amazon Prime U.S., you will have to make sure you connect to any VPN server in the U.S. If you’re located in other regions of the world, such as Japan, Canada, France, U.K., Italy, Spain, or Germany, you’ll be able to select VPN servers in those regions. To get a list of them, and to ensure that you’re up to date with the regions that are covered by NordVPN, check out the NordVPN website.
- NordVPN offers you the chance to unblock a variety of sites that could be restricted in some countries. It’s not limited to Amazon Prime. You will be able to access iPlayer, Hulu, BBC, and Netflix.
- NordVPN is very secure because it makes use of 256-bit AES encryption. This prevents anyone from gaining access to your web traffic or data, so you can view online content without worrying that your private details are being exposed – or that Amazon will notice that you’re not accessing its service from your home country.
- NordVPN makes use of a Kill Switch. This will notify you when your connection to the VPN fails and it will cut off your connection to the internet so that you’re not identified as using a VPN. This will keep you anonymous, such as if you’re in a restricted country and want to make use of a VPN’s unblocking features.
- NordVPN ensures your web traffic moves through two servers, instead of just one. This makes it harder for hackers and snoopers to be able to see and monitor your web traffic. It also has a CyberSec feature, which blocks ads from getting in the way of your streaming experience.
- This VPN has a no-logs policy. This is important to ensure that no user data is leaked.
- If you want to connect to multiple devices in order to make use of NordVPN for Amazon Prime, NordVPN will enable this because you can connect up to six devices simultaneously. This makes it perfect for many members in a household to stream content!
How Do You Use NordVPN To Unblock Amazon Prime?
If you want to get started with NordVPN to unblock Amazon Prime content, you can do so by following these steps:
- Sign in to your VPN account. Make sure you’ve downloaded the right version of the app for your device before logging in.
- Connect to the VPN server in the country where you want to access the restricted content.
- Then, go to the Amazon Prime website. Test that it’s working by playing a video on your chosen service. If it doesn’t begin to play, you’ll have to clear your browser’s cache and cookies before reloading the page.
Note: If you are still battling to connect, you can get in touch with NordVPN. Support staff will help you find the best server according to the content you wish to watch.
Is There A Catch?
The problem of trying to unblock Amazon Prime content with a VPN is not always easily solved. There are constantly issues that can come up when using VPNs for streaming services.
One of them that you should know about is that you can’t access Amazon Prime Video from devices other than your desktop computer.
This is a problem that people experience when using all VPNs, not just NordVPN. On mobile apps, you’re forced to make use of the Amazon app which can only show you your home library – even after you’ve connected to the VPN (via Comparitech).
In addition, some countries, such as China, block VPNs, so you have to be extra careful when trying to use a VPN to access censored content there.
You also have to ensure you download the VPN before entering those countries because many VPN websites are banned.
Finally, it’s worth noting that streaming services can also block VPNs from being used.
So, while a VPN might work for a while to unblock streaming services, such as Amazon Prime, it might not for the long-term future.
Can’t You Unblock Amazon Prime With A Free VPN?
It can be tempting to want to unblock content online with a free VPN, but these products are not worth your time because they’re quite limited in the features they offer and they won’t be able to unblock major streaming services such as Amazon Prime or Netflix.
This is partly as a result of how they have small networks, so if one server is blacklisted by a streaming service this will seriously put a dent in how the VPN works.
In addition to this, free VPNs are dangerous to use because they don’t have the best privacy and security features in place.
A study that looked at more than 280 free VPN apps found that almost 40 percent of them had malware.
Is Using A VPN For Amazon Prime Legal?
This is why it’s always important to check this out before you begin.
Note that the NordVPN website, it states that the VPN shouldn’t be used to bypass copyright regulations and that NordVPN doesn’t condone, endorse, or promote using its service for these purposes.
If you want to enjoy Amazon Prime but you’re battling with its geographical restrictions, the good news is that a VPN can help you to unblock them.
In this article, we’ve provided you with information you need to know to be able to unblock Prime with NordVPN, which is one of the best VPNs for streaming content safely and anonymously.
Can You Use Any VPN To Unblock Amazon Prime Content?
Unfortunately, not just any VPN will work. This is because Amazon works hard to detect and block VPNs from doing this.
Can You Use a Proxy To Unblock Content on Amazon Prime?
While proxy servers will give you an IP address to make Amazon Prime think you’re in a different location, they can’t protect your data.
This is why a VPN goes the extra mile to unblock restricted content and encrypt your web traffic.
Do You Need a New Amazon Account to Unblock Prime With NordVPN?
No, you can keep the same account but just make sure that you’re connected to the NordVPN server that will unblock content in the region you want.